Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Recommend Product: DK Eyewitness Travel, Dublin


I recommend this book for many reasons. Dublin is a very unique city with many historic sites. I liked how this travel book organized the sites throughout Dublin into categories. First, I liked how the author introduces and gives a history of Dublin, Ireland. It is always nice to know a little history on the cities before you go. The authors Street-by-Street views of the city are a little confusing but detailed at the same time. When traveling to Dublin, I recommend you visit Trinity College. I have been there and this book lays out many things that I learned during the tour of the beautiful historic College. The only thing I do not like about the pages is that they are a little over crowded. While seeing Trinity College we could have saw the Book of Kells. Now, I recommend this book because the author gives a full page history on the Book of Kells; and if I would have known what it was when I was there, I would have gone to see it.
 Temple Bar was one of my favorite places to visit while I was in Dublin. I like how the author gives a brief history on Temple Bar and where it is located. I also like how the author gives a history on St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Once again, I recommend this travel guide because St. Patrick’s Church would have been a lot more interesting than it was if I would have read this before I traveled there. I really enjoyed reading the section on Christ Church Cathedral. The church was very cool to see and the history this author gives is very helpful. (Insert Amazon link with picture)
The Guinness section of this travel guide is just awesome. I highly recommend you visit the Guinness Storehouse and if you read this beforehand, you will be set. The author gives a very detailed written history on Guinness and gives a diagram of how Guinness is made.
I like how this author gives a very well written detailed look of the areas and exploring Beyond Dublin. The pages on Glendalough describe it very well and I recommend reading this section if you plan on traveling beyond Dublin like my group and I did while we were there. This section tells and gives the history on everything you will see, from the two lakes to the round tower at Glendalough to Military Road to the beautiful Wicklow Mountains. I have been to all of those places and the author’s section on them I really liked.
This travel guide is also nice because it gives you a detailed outline on where to stay in Dublin. This list on choosing a hotel is great because it gives you a brief description on the hotel, an idea of the price, and the contact information. I also like reading the Restaurants, Cafes, and Pubs section of this travel guide because it lays out which are the best, where they are located, and a brief description with some of them even having a pictures. I wish I would of read this book before I went because it gives great ideas on what to buy in Dublin for souvenirs. And finally, the last section is also nice because it gives some practical information on surviving while traveling throughout Dublin; I agree with most of the information, having been there and experienced that awesome city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment