Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ghent, Belgium

Ghent, Belgium is a very interesting city located not to far from the capital city of Brussels. We were given the opportunity to visit Ghent, Belgium for two in a half days. The second day we woke up and went to went to the local McDonalds for breakfast. We went to McDonalds because we thought the hostel breakfast was no good at all. McDonalds in Ghent had a very interesting menu that had some similiraties and differences to the United States menu. 

I ordered a New York City burger.  It was interesting how there was a little pieces of ham on top of my New York City sandwich’s bread. It was also interesting how they served Jupiter beer in McDonalds. I do not think they serve beer at all in any McDonalds in the United States. I remember like how they charged 30 cents to use the toilet in McDonalds. That was interesting because I have never seen a restaurant charge to use the toilet. 
We also thought it was a little funny and something else how they charge for ketchup and bbq sauce at McDonalds. Those little things are what makes traveling so interesting.
In the afternoon we went on a boat tour on Ghent. It was really nice to see the city from the river. If you go to Ghent, Belgium, I highly recommend you go on a boat to see the entire city from the river. During the boat tour I thought it was cool to learn about the history of the medieval city. It was interesting to listen to the boat driver in three languages. The Medieval towers and buildings throughout Ghent reminded me of the video game Assassins Creed and during the boat ride I learned that there are over 250 different kinds of beers in Belgium!

No comments:

Post a Comment