Thursday, November 25, 2010

Behind the Scenes: European Parliament

While in Brussels, I recommend you walk around and see the buildings of the European Union’s Parliament. During my trip to Europe, I was given a unique opportunity to go inside and tour the main Europen Parliament building. It was really interesting to learn all about it and see it first hand. I  learned that there are 23 different languages within the 27 member states. I also learned that the maximum amount of seats a state can have is 99 and Germany is the only one that has that many now. I thought it was really interesting how 40% of the European Parliament’s staff is translators. I learned how the European Parliament works. Work and life there are reflected in a calendar divided up into different colored weeks. The different colored weeks are pink, red, blue, and turquoise; each corresponding to a different type of parliamentary activity. I also learned that the European Parliament has 20 standing committees. Each committee specializes in a particular field, such as transportation and the environment.

That night after the European Parliament, me and a few frinds tried to go to a nicer restaurant that wasn't that expensive. We finally choose one and we all ordered lasagna. One lady worked there and after we ordered she went to the back area and opened up packages. After that we saw her put four plates into four microwaves. We were mad that we were going to pay eight euros for micro waved lasagna but we were also laughing at the same time. That night we went to the pub which has the most beers in tap in the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment